Everyone seems to be talking about energy efficiency. But you’re wondering if it’s a good choice for you and your Baltimore home. To find out if a Blue Star Energy Efficient Air Conditioner is right for you, ask yourself which features are most important to you.
Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Other Pollutants
If lowering your ecological footprint is on your priority list, a Blue Star Energy Efficient air conditioner is a good choice to reduce your impact on the environment. But what exactly does a Blue Star label mean? We went to the energystar.gov website to see the specifications a product must have to wear that Blue Star Energy Efficient label:
• Product categories must contribute significant energy savings nationwide.
• Certified products must deliver the features and performance demanded by consumers, in addition to increased energy efficiency.
• Energy efficiency can be achieved through broadly available, non-proprietary technologies offered by more than one manufacturer.
• Product energy consumption and performance can be measured and verified with testing.
• Labeling would effectively differentiate products and be visible for purchasers.
• If the certified product costs more than a conventional, less-efficient counterpart, purchasers will recover their investment in increased energy efficiency through utility bill savings, within a reasonable period of time.
So we know the products are tested, must not sacrifice performance or features for energy efficiency, and will recover the extra cost within a reasonable amount of time. But what is a reasonable amount of time?
We asked our technicians what their experience with Energy Star Efficient products were. They concluded that Blue Star Energy Efficient air conditioner units often show a significant savings on your utility payments. However, sometimes that Blue Star Energy Efficient label will cost you more upfront. So you’ll want to make sure you plan to stay in your home long enough to accumulate the savings in utility payments to offset the initial higher cost. We find that five years is usually enough time to see a return on your investment. If you plan on staying in your home for the full life span of your air conditioner (10+ years) you will see an even greater savings. Although, if you are planning on selling soon, updated energy efficient appliances can also be a selling feature depending on your location and home’s resell value.
Do you want to know how much you can save with a Blue Star Energy Efficient air conditioner? Schedule your FREE estimate with one of our no-pressure Comfort Advisors.